Elinor & Marianne
Posted by Alexandra on June 18, 1998 at 08:20:03:
Oh my goodness........I'm in shock! I have just finished reading this sequel by Emma Tennant and I cannot believe what trash it is (IMHO).
The plot is just so unbelievable! I suppose she was trying to carry on in the style of Jane Austen......Can you imagine Jane Austen seeing Marianne living in sin with Willoughby in some sort of hippie commune while pregnant with Colonel Brandon's child? I bet she's spinning in her grave!!
The plot was just so unbelievable. The style of writing was trying so hard to be like Jane Austen while she was putting in things that I couldn't see some of the characters ever discussing in letters.....things that were against the protocol of the time!
I can see that Marianne might not have loved Colonel Brandon when she married him but I have always liked to believe that love wasn't far away. Although Marianne is a romantic I can't see her ever running from the sanctity of marriage!!
Also in one of the letters Elinor calls Edward "a spineless Coward" can you imagine her talking to her husband like that!
The other thing that I found very hard to stomach was the portrayal of Mrs Ferrars as a total mad woman. It really was farcical......but then again I guess that sums up the whole book, farcical!
I can not believe that this book has the audacity to call itself a sequel to Sense & Sensibility! It is more like a bit of Mills & Boon trash......I really wish that I had read Barbara's review of this first!!
I'm sorry if all of this sounds really strong.....it's only my opinion! I wasn't sure where I should post this but I thought that some of you might have read it and could tell me what you thought.......if you haven't read it and want to see how not to write a sequel............
- In defense of Tennant Linda 23:07:53 6/19/98 (38)
- Fixing tags and completing message Linda 23:14:52 6/19/98 (37)
- Do we all remain the same? Chris 05:34:53 6/22/98 (33)
- Flatness and disrespect Margie 09:02:42 6/24/98 (12)
- Interesting take on this subject Martine 11:16:55 6/24/98 (11)
- I've been feeling guilty about this... Barbara 14:41:57 6/24/98 (10)
- Aaack! please don't feel guilty Margie 00:47:38 6/25/98 (5)
- Sequel writing Martine 18:17:00 6/24/98 (0)
- Barbara's Sequels Stephanie S 16:56:16 6/24/98 (2)
- Respect is earned not a gift! Kathleen Ann 17:15:42 6/22/98 (9)
- Is this your approach? Chris 11:51:52 6/23/98 (8)
- Qualified to judge??? Barbara 19:38:10 6/23/98 (6)
- Chris Kathleen Ann 18:25:12 6/23/98 (0)
- Ms. Tennant unpardonable fault Martine 14:10:41 6/22/98 (3)
- re:Emma Tennant Alexandra 12:30:50 6/22/98 (5)
- To be fair... Barbara 15:47:09 6/20/98 (0)
- No, you shall not defend her! Andrea Jutson 04:17:28 6/20/98 (0)
- The killing of Jane Austens feminist heroine Eva 02:49:33 6/20/98 (0)
- All this being said... Deborah, Mama 05:26:40 6/19/98 (0)
- Yup! Laraine 10:24:26 6/18/98 (28)
- Emma Tennant sequels caitlin 13:00:28 6/18/98 (27)
- A Pretender to the Throne!! Jimmy 11:40:02 6/19/98 (3)
- Vent away! Barbara 14:38:30 6/19/98 (2)
- *blush* - I meant Arnessa...just got carried away! Sorry. (nfm) Jimmy 18:08:04 6/19/98 (1)
- Don't blush Arnessa 11:16:48 7/03/98 (0)
- Hear, hear! Sarah P 06:31:05 6/19/98 (0)
- Yes!! Alexandra 04:32:40 6/19/98 (0)
- What is Emma Tennant's problem? Tamee 14:18:51 6/18/98 (20)
- I just don't get it! Barbara 16:47:55 6/18/98 (19)
- Eeee, gads--the horror of it all !! Erin L 20:03:50 6/18/98 (7)
- Bless me fellow citizens, for I have sinned... caitlin 23:14:49 6/18/98 (6)
- What?!?!? Stephanie S 18:27:38 6/18/98 (10)
- Willoughby and Margaret (spoiler--like you actually care!!) Barbara 19:45:28 6/18/98 (9)
- Sophia Alexandra 04:28:30 6/19/98 (8)
- Didn't that happen in Mansfield Park? (NFM) Mark 15:38:40 6/19/98 (1)
- Absolutely Ken 08:54:36 6/23/98 (0)
- Message for Barbara - Stephanie S 09:04:48 6/19/98 (5)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.