Posted by Mark on May 13, 1998 at 14:26:11:
The constant "Willoughby versus Brandon" battle just gave rise to an interesting speculation. Is it possible that part of the problem is that in the ET film, AR and KW don't seem to have that much chemistry between them?
Yes, AR is the consummate Brandon. His scenes where he is either looking at Marianne or thinking and/or talking about her are some of the finest examples of acting anywhere. In a like manner KW plays Marianne to perfection. Her fiery passion, combined with an innocence about the world is portrayed magnificently.
And yet their scenes together seem flat, in my thinking.
They have two scenes where they are acknowledged lovers -- the poetry reading and the wedding. During the wedding, I get the distinct impression that they are just putting on a happy face for the camera. The poetry reading seemed more of a father-daughter chemistry.
Even the scenes before their "understanding", they seem to barely tolerate each other. In the bowling scene, for example, smiles seem to come too quickly and disappear just as suddenly.
How far off am I?
- Rickman/Winslet too good? Kathleen Ann 15:50:11 5/14/98 (0)
- Brandon-Marianne Eva 15:17:54 5/14/98 (2)
- Marianne/Brandon scenes Cheryl 12:18:34 5/14/98 (18)
- "Darned happy" Barbara 20:03:00 5/14/98 (11)
- Thank you, thank you for these photos!!!! (NFM) Angela 19:02:38 5/15/98 (0)
- The bowling scene Mary Anne 08:29:27 5/15/98 (9)
- Now, now, sister in matchmaking botches ;)... Deborah (maMa) 17:19:15 5/16/98 (5)
- I thought I'd forgotten my html! sorry!! he he he he!nfm MaMa laughing out loud!! 17:20:07 5/16/98 (4)
- Laughing with you . . . ! Mary Anne 18:26:17 5/16/98 (3)
- Some MaMa-therly advice: Deborah (MaMa) 22:01:27 5/16/98 (2)
- Waiting for Colonel Brandon Brandeis 17:10:55 5/17/98 (1)
- *8sputter!**MaMa just fell off her chair laughin'!!!!! nfm Deborah(MaMa) 07:54:38 5/20/98 (0)
- Intense! Barbara 19:53:16 5/15/98 (0)
- Reeds Eva 14:59:33 5/15/98 (1)
- I thought she looked.... Lynne 22:44:11 5/17/98 (0)
- Concurring... Laraine 15:14:11 5/14/98 (5)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.