What Edward does offer...
Posted by Lynne on May 12, 1998 at 17:31:32:
In response to Edward Ferrars, A Token Hero?, written by Tamee on May 12, 1998 at 16:35:22
Edward Ferrars does offer a plot complication: his secret engagement to Lucy (which, frankly always confused me a bit). This does challenge Elinor to "talk the talk, and walk the walk".. as she is forced to really practice the self control she is always attempting to sell to Marianne. It also balances the story, for both girls to have a lover---and for both lovers to present problems for each. And the fact that Edward is somewhat of a mysterious entity also provides tension....if he were always around, it wouldn't look very realistic. A guy engaged to one girl, and in love with another might very well remain at a distance. It does keep the reader guessing as to what are Edward's motives...is he sincere...or just another Willoughby?
Hopefully, someone out there will offer us something more...this is an interesting question.
- More on Edward Barbara 23:16:14 5/12/98 (6)
- Edward's duty and Willoughby's failure Tamee 14:27:23 5/13/98 (5)
- Something more Mary Anne 20:33:16 5/12/98 (9)
- smouldering--LOL!! Barbara 23:06:09 5/12/98 (8)
- Actually, Barbara that sounds like a plea for a picture :) (nfm) CathyW 00:53:14 5/13/98 (7)
- How's this for smouldering??? Barbara 23:29:24 5/13/98 (6)
- Homina! And MaMa used only to go for dark-haired guys!nfm Deborah (MaMa) 07:57:51 5/20/98 (0)
- Sigh.....Thank you Barbara! :)) (nfm) CathyW 09:56:37 5/15/98 (0)
- Goodness, is it hot in here, or is it me? (nfm) Rita J 20:39:18 5/14/98 (0)
- Barbara, you spoil us!! Thank you! (nfm) Lynn 13:13:10 5/14/98 (0)
- "Smouldering," indeed! Mary Anne 08:06:56 5/14/98 (0)
- Whoosh...there goes my monitor!where's my fire extinguisher?(nfm) Jimmy 00:37:20 5/14/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.