What did Willoughby know and when did he know it?
Posted by Arnessa on February 15, 1998 at 23:20:15:
In response to That's what I mean., written by Kathleen Ann on February 15, 1998 at 10:29:08
] Willoughby was so dumb that he wouldn't do the one thing that would guarranty his financial health (marry Eliza). Or the one thing that would guarranty his happiness (marry Marianne).
I'm confused. I'm not sure that Willoughby knew that if he had married Eliza he would have been financially secure. I think he thought that his guardian would have disinherited him anyway. Then he would have been poor and unhappy. Can't blame him for disliking that deal. Isn't it only later that he finds out that had he acted honorably all along, he wouldn't have been left penniless? Of course, we all blame him for not marrying Marianne, but that's another story.
- By the book. Kathleen Ann 10:47:05 2/16/98 (8)
- Ah yes, I'd forgotten that bit. Arnessa 22:38:26 2/16/98 (7)
- Illegitimacy Lynne 00:44:43 2/17/98 (6)
- Eliza's parentage? Barbara 12:37:43 2/17/98 (1)
- Very true.... Lynne 01:19:43 2/19/98 (0)
- Wick, Will and Beth Martine 11:17:57 2/17/98 (3)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.