Posted by Arnessa on February 15, 1998 at 02:43:06:
In response to Wickham smart. Willoughby dumb., written by Kathleen Ann on February 12, 1998 at 10:26:24
] Wickham was smart. He probably realized when Darcy found them that Darcy cared very much about the reputation of the Bennet family. He may not have known why, for sure, but he knew that by marrying Lydia he could solve his financial problems.
Wickham was forced to marry Lydia. True, Darcy paid his debts, but that was while practically holding a gun to Wickham's head. By the time Darcy finds him, Wickham knows he's in a fix and there's no way out other than to marry Lydia. Believe me, if Wickham thought for a second that he could have gotten a better deal by running off, he would have. But he knows that if he does run away Darcy will use his influence to ensure he's never allowed into good society again.
- That's what I mean. Kathleen Ann 10:29:08 2/15/98 (10)
- What did Willoughby know and when did he know it? Arnessa 23:20:15 2/15/98 (9)
- By the book. Kathleen Ann 10:47:05 2/16/98 (8)
- Ah yes, I'd forgotten that bit. Arnessa 22:38:26 2/16/98 (7)
- Illegitimacy Lynne 00:44:43 2/17/98 (6)
- Eliza's parentage? Barbara 12:37:43 2/17/98 (1)
- Very true.... Lynne 01:19:43 2/19/98 (0)
- Wick, Will and Beth Martine 11:17:57 2/17/98 (3)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.