Reviewing the Archives on PDA
Posted by Misty Ann Khan on September 06, 1998 at 18:40:11:
Thanks again to Caroline for pointing me in the direction of the archives for answers to my questions regarding acceptable physical contact, etc. There was a lot there!
As I was reviewing the discussions regarding public displays of affection, I was reminded of a program that I saw on the a cable channel (probably TLC). This program talked about public consumation of the marriages of nobility and royalty. I'm not sure of the time period but, it probably pre-dated Austen. Anyway, supposedly, fathers and other witnesses were required to look on as a newly married couple consumated thier marriage so that they could confirm the couople were legally married. I suppose the idea was that a marriage is not legal until it is consumated. There might also have been something having to do with legal heirs.
The program also mentioned that certain members of the nobility were required to look on as the Queen gave birth so as to confirm that the heir to the throne was indeed her offspring.
Can you imagine - having your father (not to mention the other strangers) look on while you're being intimate with your husband for the first time - Oooooooooh! And then having to go through labor with an audience whose attention is focused on your most private parts (during a period when you are certain to look your absolute worst) - Ooooooooh!
After all of that, a kiss after a wedding seems pretty tame! Of course, this might also give some explanation for why the upper classes were desensitized to waltzing, etc.
- Duc de Berry Marie-Bernadette 10:48:37 9/08/98 (0)
- Public viewings of intimate functions... The Mysterious H.C. 08:48:18 9/07/98 (24)
- Viewing the Birth Misty Ann Khan 09:13:05 9/07/98 (23)
- Celibates Lesley 00:21:18 9/08/98 (13)
- Honey moon P. Bingham 13:37:50 9/10/98 (9)
- Mead Lesley 01:31:13 9/11/98 (1)
- She liked Mead Caroline 08:51:17 9/11/98 (0)
- LOL! Caroline 14:07:43 9/10/98 (6)
- The finest example of this, ever....... Caroline 14:14:03 9/10/98 (5)
- Gee, can't think of any modern day examples can you? Misty Ann Khan 14:02:37 9/09/98 (0)
- Borgias Constanza 10:02:37 9/08/98 (1)
- So that's where Prince Macchiavelli Came From! - Thanks! NFM Misty Ann Khan 14:04:29 9/09/98 (0)
- Warming pan babies-just pretenders Caroline 09:29:58 9/07/98 (8)
- Feeling a Bit Foolish Misty Ann Khan 14:53:32 9/07/98 (7)
- Henrys, wives and stuff Caroline 18:12:13 9/07/98 (3)
- We're all learning here SuzanneR 15:44:45 9/07/98 (1)
- Thanks, Suzanne, I feel better now! Misty Ann Khan 16:23:13 9/07/98 (0)
- Don't feel too bad... (Warming-pan baby) The Mysterious H.C. 15:28:57 9/07/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.