she's hot... let's shave her head!
Posted by P. Bingham on August 30, 1998 at 02:30:54:
In response to fevers, written by P. Bingham on August 29, 1998 at 22:17:54
I'm reading book 10 of O'Brian's Jack Aubrey series and have just come across s feverish patient. She is the victim of a botched abortion and Maturin is faced with saving her life. She was never expected to live and suffered from a severe fever, delerium, etc. Maturin shaves her head and mentions it to Jack very lightly. It is obvious that this practice was common. And so I can conclude that, in the case of severe fever, one might sahve the person's head.
This sounds oddly familiar, though. As if I've read something like this happening in some other novel. Jane Eyre, perhaps? Captain, have you ever heard of shaving the head for a fever and does this have something to do with bad humors? Did they shave the head for similar reason as bloodletting?
- head shaving in novels Susan H 19:37:44 8/31/98 (4)
- Little house on the Prairie P. Bingham 03:03:42 9/01/98 (3)
- I've read a couple of them - Proposal Constanza 17:29:23 9/01/98 (2)
- It's a wonder they ever got married! P. Bingham 20:57:46 9/01/98 (1)
- There's something terribly surreal about that, Patricia NFM SuzanneR 00:51:41 9/02/98 (0)
- Fevers: Shaved Heads, etc. SuzanneR 14:14:21 8/30/98 (22)
- Mal Air Ea Ken 07:40:06 8/31/98 (0)
- The head P. Bingham 15:42:13 8/30/98 (20)
- Shaved heads and the Humors: I found a quote SuzanneR 01:19:34 9/02/98 (1)
- very good detective work! (nfm) P. Bingham 03:28:39 9/02/98 (0)
- One more question (and thanks for the info about Aubrey series) SuzanneR 18:23:30 8/31/98 (11)
- Vinegar Caroline 16:59:05 9/01/98 (10)
- Vinegar & Jack & Jill Patricia Bingham 23:58:21 9/04/98 (2)
- Proof Ken 15:11:42 9/02/98 (0)
- Thank you, Caroline. Those archived posts were fun to read NFM SuzanneR 01:28:43 9/02/98 (0)
- burning vinegar P. Bingham 18:34:16 9/01/98 (4)
- one for sure and a guess Constanza 17:01:26 8/31/98 (1)
- Egad--that's it!! SuzanneR 18:32:30 8/31/98 (0)
- Heads Up Ken 07:47:38 8/31/98 (3)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.