Salary of a governess
Posted by Bob Whitworth on August 13, 1998 at 16:33:44:
In response to The salary of a governess., written by Joan M. on August 13, 1998 at 15:47:48
It sounds a bit on the low side, but taking into account that she was provided with a roof over her head and meals, plus possibly a few "extras"
it's not all that bad. It's still a poor wage, though, considering that the average London tradesman's weekly wages during the Regency period were about a pound a week, (possibly a little more). And they worked hard, too.
- Salaries SuzanneR 20:49:13 8/13/98 (2)
- wages? We don't need no stinking wages! Bob Whitworth 00:25:49 8/14/98 (1)
- Right, but don't get me started on today's teacher salaries :)NFM SuzanneR 12:21:01 8/14/98 (0)
- On the other hand Amy 18:09:10 8/13/98 (1)
- wages Art 19:11:18 8/14/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.