The salary of a governess.
Posted by Joan M. on August 13, 1998 at 15:47:48:
Forgive me if it is not strictly Austen but I have been wondering about this ever since I saw the movie. In 'Jane Eyre' Jane was paid 40 pounds per annum. Was this considered a generous salary, meager or in line with other governess positions at the time. Thank you for any responses to my query.
- the book Anna P 13:28:54 8/14/98 (1)
- 50 pound note Joan M 12:53:19 8/17/98 (0)
- Salary of a governess Bob Whitworth 16:33:44 8/13/98 (5)
- Salaries SuzanneR 20:49:13 8/13/98 (2)
- wages? We don't need no stinking wages! Bob Whitworth 00:25:49 8/14/98 (1)
- Right, but don't get me started on today's teacher salaries :)NFM SuzanneR 12:21:01 8/14/98 (0)
- On the other hand Amy 18:09:10 8/13/98 (1)
- wages Art 19:11:18 8/14/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.