Mr. Woodhouse, our favortie fussbudget
Posted by RogerV on August 02, 1998 at 13:04:22:
In response to Not if Mr. Woodhouse had anything to say about it! ;-), written by The Mysterious H.C. on August 01, 1998 at 13:00:49
Gasp indeed is what a lot of people must have done because of Mr. Woodhouse and others who shared his fear of night air... with the windows closed, the indoor level of pollutants in a large ballroom must have been incredible, and many people slept with their windows shut tight because they thought that disease was carried by bad air.
Some of these people ended up unintentionally gassing themselves, however... practically every house had a cesspit in its cellar, and if they were not cleaned out on a regular basis, methane and other toxic gasses could actually reach the living spaces in the house. It is now believed that these accidental gassings were not unusual, though they were a complete mystery to the people at the time.
I did a posting farther down on this board about sanitation and water supply which carries a link to a fascinating site on this subject, but be warned, it's NOT for the faint of heart!
- Info, please. Caroline 13:26:34 8/02/98 (2)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.