Not as Stupid as You think..
Posted by Mist on July 29, 1998 at 18:18:46:
In response to well..., written by Kate on July 29, 1998 at 09:31:38
I am not ignorant of the fact that we live in a WONDERFUL time where technology has made it possible for us to do many things Jane Austen could never imagine, such as talking to our loved ones over the telephone thousands of miles apart, or say, enjoying being able to travel from San Francisco to England in one day on a huge jet. And television, that brings sex and violence into our homes for our children to see. Or, what about being able to spy on some one in their own home without their knowledge? And our wonderful technology that has brought us guns and biological warfare.
Please forgive me for thinking that Jane and her contemporaries were priviledged to live in a relatively peaceful area and era...that being before stealth bombs and Napalm. I know there were wars in those times too and i don't mean to sound old fashioned, but people in every time have seemed to make to with what they had.
I must admit that at any period in history, there is an equal amount of good blended alongside the bad.
I merely suggested a ball!!!!!
] ] Parting shot, dearest? ;-)
] LOL!!! no, not really!
] I just like to remind people that fantasies about how wonderful it was back then fail to recognise that in reality, life was not all balls and afternoon tea parties - and that even these were fraught with difficulties which modern science has made irrelevant to us.
- I would still rather live back then Earlene 03:56:45 7/30/98 (21)
- true but... Kate 14:31:14 7/31/98 (4)
- My only fear Constanza 12:01:30 7/31/98 (1)
- LOL!! Caroline 16:17:50 7/31/98 (0)
- I wouldn't! SuzanneR 12:57:50 7/30/98 (0)
- There are a few things that I would miss... Marie-Bernadette 10:55:27 7/30/98 (12)
- and also Constanza 11:59:30 7/31/98 (5)
- And ... BarbaraK 14:27:25 8/06/98 (4)
- Please expand! Caroline 18:03:02 8/07/98 (1)
- EXPANDED!! It was on a T.V. show my mind has forgotten! NFM BarbaraK 18:06:47 8/10/98 (0)
- please, tell me you are kidding! Constanza 17:20:55 8/06/98 (1)
- kidding, I wish!!! I'd Only worry if either were in my food!(NFM) BarbaraK 23:10:44 8/06/98 (0)
- LOL! I'll bet you LOVE the double-wedding scene in P&P2! (nfm) Gayle 19:49:37 7/30/98 (1)
- Ah! P&P2! Fanning myself vigorously! (nfm) Marie-Bernadette 23:57:45 7/30/98 (0)
- Men's Fashions Indeed! RogerV 19:19:24 7/30/98 (3)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.