Wow! Three questions in one post!
Posted by Caroline on July 23, 1998 at 20:14:57:
In response to Ok, I'm confused! (About JA), written by Peg on July 23, 1998 at 17:14:42
] I have read JA's main novels & several lesser works, so I thought I would gain some background by reading about JA herself on the JA Information Pages. Now, I'm totally confused.
Join the club, my dear! ;-)
] The Regency time period = 1811-1820, correct?
Strictly speaking, yes. Often used much more loosely than that....
] I have read "Catharine or the Bower" which I thought was 1 of her Juvenilia stories (which she wrote between 1787-1793) yet in the story, a character says, "She sends me a long account of the new Regency walking dress Lady Susan has given her..." Did she write "The Bower" later than I thought?
King George had his first attack of porphyria, or whatever it was, in the 1780's (I haven't checked this date, so I could be wrong)They were talking about the possibility of the PofW being Regent even then....they were expecting a regency.That's a wild guess, Peg ;-)
] Also, I have read at various places in RoP (I think in here, too) discussions on whether the P&P story was dated 1805 or 1811, but in the info pages, it says that her father tried to have it published in 1797. She sold it after revising it in 1813, but she probably didn't change the time period of the novel, did she?
No, but she is thought to have put it through several revisions at different times.Some think that the last revision was 1811, and the dates and days mentioned in the novel fit quite well with that year.
] 1 last comment: She really dedicated "Emma" to the Prince Regent? Why would she honor such a profligate? Because his physician tended to her brother?
She did it because he suggested she might. She tried to refuse, and was informed that you do not, ever, refuse a "request" from Royalty
- The Regency Golda 14:55:28 7/24/98 (3)
- Re:The Regency Diana LB 16:50:10 7/24/98 (2)
- TV Program Golda 17:46:23 7/28/98 (1)
- Yes, this is the one - just saw the listing -thanks! NFM Diana LB 18:45:40 7/29/98 (0)
- Prinny and Jane Leanne S 11:13:24 7/24/98 (3)
- A redeeming feature of Prinny - his good taste (nfm) Linden 04:46:53 7/25/98 (0)
- I wonder which character he envisioned himself as? ;) nfm Peg 13:31:37 7/24/98 (1)
- A combination of Robert Ferrars and Henry Crawford? ;-) [NFM] The Mysterious H.C. 21:13:19 7/24/98 (0)
- Thank you, Caroline! Peg 23:21:54 7/23/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.