Ok, I'm confused! (About JA)
Posted by Peg on July 23, 1998 at 17:14:42:
I have read JA's main novels & several lesser works, so I thought I would gain some background by reading about JA herself on the JA Information Pages. Now, I'm totally confused.
The Regency time period = 1811-1820, correct?
I have read "Catharine or the Bower" which I thought was 1 of her Juvenilia stories (which she wrote between 1787-1793) yet in the story, a character says, "She sends me a long account of the new Regency walking dress Lady Susan has given her..." Did she write "The Bower" later than I thought?
Also, I have read at various places in RoP (I think in here, too) discussions on whether the P&P story was dated 1805 or 1811, but in the info pages, it says that her father tried to have it published in 1797. She sold it after revising it in 1813, but she probably didn't change the time period of the novel, did she?
1 last comment: She really dedicated "Emma" to the Prince Regent? Why would she honor such a profligate? Because his physician tended to her brother?
I guess it's true that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Thank you for any enlightenment. :)
- Wow! Three questions in one post! Caroline 20:14:57 7/23/98 (9)
- The Regency Golda 14:55:28 7/24/98 (3)
- Re:The Regency Diana LB 16:50:10 7/24/98 (2)
- TV Program Golda 17:46:23 7/28/98 (1)
- Yes, this is the one - just saw the listing -thanks! NFM Diana LB 18:45:40 7/29/98 (0)
- Prinny and Jane Leanne S 11:13:24 7/24/98 (3)
- A redeeming feature of Prinny - his good taste (nfm) Linden 04:46:53 7/25/98 (0)
- I wonder which character he envisioned himself as? ;) nfm Peg 13:31:37 7/24/98 (1)
- A combination of Robert Ferrars and Henry Crawford? ;-) [NFM] The Mysterious H.C. 21:13:19 7/24/98 (0)
- Thank you, Caroline! Peg 23:21:54 7/23/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.