Posted by THe Mysterious H.C. on July 12, 1998 at 22:58:27:
In response to wedding night bed time, written by mishel on July 12, 1998 at 21:14:01
I don't really get that general idea (though individual couples could have had their own particular arrangements). To the contrary, siblings of the same sex often slept in the same bed, etc. Accoring to Ellen Moody of AUSTEN-L, Fanny Knight relates an anecdote that she was sleeping with her mother, and was awakened and sent to her own bed when her father came back from a trip suddenly in the middle of the night. What was true was that in any reasonably large house, the master and mistress would have had separate dressing rooms...
- Love, Joy, and Separate Rooms Caroline 02:12:39 7/15/98 (10)
- Beds and beds... The Mysterious H.C. 03:54:18 7/15/98 (9)
- The curtained bed is very old.... Roger V 01:37:29 7/16/98 (3)
- Some thoughts on separate bedrooms, etc. Carolyn B 19:28:35 7/15/98 (4)
- Bed curtains Earlene 01:12:41 7/16/98 (0)
- The Family Bed Carolyn B 19:35:23 7/15/98 (2)
- True, and, right! Caroline 23:09:07 7/15/98 (1)
- Introduction of chimneys led to development of seperate rooms-nfm Captain Everett 18:22:10 7/16/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.