How are balls opened?
Posted by Spring on July 09, 1998 at 14:16:02:
I tried to look this up in the archives but I couldn't find anything on the subject. I might have missed it and if I did oops! I'm sorry to bring this up again.
So how exactly does one open a ball? I read that it is opened at the head of the set by the one throwing the ball (?) or the one the ball is thrown for(?) or the highest ranking person there (?)or all three (?).
And, where is the head of the set? Is it closest to the band or farthest away?
Here's the point of my questions:
After watching P&P2 again (imagine that ;)) I noticed that Bingley and Jane are dancing smack in the middle of the set. And Elizabeth is dancing at the head (or foot) of the set with Mr. Collins. It almost looks like Elizabeth and Mr. Collins opened up the ball but that can't be right.
Will someone please make sense of this ridiculous post and clear the matter up for me?
- Opening the Ball Captain Everett 09:06:49 7/10/98 (1)
- Thank you. :) nfm Spring 10:13:19 7/10/98 (0)
- Head of set is closest to the band (nfm) Lisa in LA 15:42:03 7/09/98 (3)
- So then, Lizzy and Mr. Collins opened the ball??? NFM Spring 19:12:16 7/09/98 (2)
- Aren't Lizzie and Mr C *farthest* away from the band? nfm Laura W 18:47:14 7/12/98 (0)
- Maybe the producers didn't read the etiquette books.... Roger V 00:09:27 7/12/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.