Some of us are doomed
Posted by Roger V on July 05, 1998 at 02:53:38:
In response to Country roads and their portrayal in adaptations, written by Ian on July 04, 1998 at 21:12:22
] Apparently country lanes we see about us (those who are fortunate to see such things at any rate ;-) ) are the product of the motor vehicle age.
Some of us are doomed to spend our lives spotting things that are out of place in television and movies.... my specialty is telephones.... spotting them for the wrong era, manufacturer, or country, but fortunately, there were NO telephones in JA's time!
And of course you are right.... a road with two ruts and grass in between would be made by motor vehicles. Horses and other animals would not leave that strip between the ruts.
However, the main or post roads of the era were rather well engineered, with surfaces of crushed stone which were actually held together by the action of animals' hooves and the wheels of carriages and wagons. However, new methods had to be found in the automoble age, as it was discovered that rubber tires (tyres to you Brits) on rapidly moving cars tend to scatter this kind of surface, rather than compact it....
- Wagons Ken 07:55:56 7/07/98 (24)
- Ruts and more ruts Roger V 00:35:31 7/09/98 (7)
- Expectations Ken 07:52:57 7/09/98 (6)
- A possible explanation? Carolyn B 21:59:43 7/09/98 (5)
- That's It Ken 07:58:19 7/10/98 (4)
- What about.... Carolyn B 08:42:11 7/10/98 (3)
- Wagons etc Earlene 05:30:02 7/12/98 (0)
- Roads, ruts, horses, wagons.... Roger V 12:39:53 7/10/98 (1)
- Now if we could just get an NSF grant to study this ; -) *nfm* Carolyn B 20:12:55 7/10/98 (0)
- a stupid question... P. Bingham 23:50:02 7/07/98 (15)
- Off the beaten path Earlene 05:41:54 7/12/98 (0)
- Elliding Ken 08:19:04 7/08/98 (13)
- Did you say Geology? P. Bingham 03:53:09 7/09/98 (6)
- Hot Topics Ken 07:59:23 7/09/98 (5)
- Of course....... Caroline 15:05:30 7/09/98 (4)
- Mea Maxima Culpa Ken 08:18:04 7/10/98 (3)
- whew Earlene 05:48:34 7/12/98 (0)
- Okay , Okay, enough already!;-) Caroline 23:14:42 7/10/98 (0)
- Sorry, Forgot to Add Plentiful (-:s to Previous Note! (nfm) Ken 12:13:57 7/10/98 (0)
- What are men to rocks and mountains? Caroline 10:09:53 7/08/98 (5)
- Does this mean I can ask you a phone question? Carolyn B 12:09:12 7/05/98 (0)
- Doomed to notice ... Ian 09:48:49 7/05/98 (4)
- Macadam roads John W 08:19:51 7/05/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.