Addressing a 'Sir'!
Posted by MariaH on June 20, 1998 at 10:34:00:
I've recently been reading a lot of Georgette Heyer (fallen in love with most of her heros too
!) and am slightly confused by why, as opposed to all other men, a knighted person was referred to as Sir 'first name'.
A 'Mr' was always referred to by his surname, and any ranks of peerage after that by what they held (right?), so why are 'sirs' addressed differently?
- Knights & titles Laura W 19:49:24 6/27/98 (3)
- Forms of address--this is the real message (Sorry about that!) Molly 23:35:55 6/29/98 (0)
- Forms of address Molly 23:31:48 6/29/98 (0)
- Forms of address Molly 23:31:15 6/29/98 (0)
- A guess Linden 19:35:29 6/20/98 (6)
- Namings John W 00:33:22 6/22/98 (5)
- Not an explanation, but... The Mysterious H.C. 18:01:53 6/20/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.