Things to do with Marriage
Posted by Venetia on June 18, 1998 at 12:53:14:
Just two questions inspired by what I've read here at RoP:
1) Was it legally (and socially) acceptable for a guardian to marry his charge? This question arose from a piece of fan fiction which saw Georgiana getting engaged to Colonel Fitzwilliam, her guardian.
BTW how old was Colonel Fitzwilliam? I personally have always assumed that he was roughly around Mr Darcy's age -- approximately in his early 30s perhaps, since Mr Darcy is 27.
2) How do couples usually address each other after marriage? Based on what I have read and watched, the wives usually address their husbands as "Mr - " or "My dear". This seemed the case for all the JA adaptations I have seen... but was it so in general? I am not so clear however about husbands; I only recall them calling their wives by their first names or other terms of endearment... on the sidelines, is this yet another small indication of sexual inequality in those times? :)
My limited understanding here has wholly been based on the adaptations I've watched and books I've read (quite some time ago, I may add) so I beg your pardon if I've been mistaken in my opinion and thank you for enlightening me. :)
- Isn't Darcy 28? (nfm) Annette 15:06:50 6/19/98 (0)
- Last names, first names, etc. Woodhouse 12:19:23 6/19/98 (1)
- Last names, first names, etc. Laura W 02:11:06 6/28/98 (0)
- Fitzwilliam's Age Captain Everett 00:56:10 6/19/98 (2)
- Thank you for the interesting piece of information (nfm) Venetia 11:25:32 6/19/98 (0)
- JA says the Col. 'was about thirty' in chap. 30 (nfm) Sarah P 06:53:03 6/19/98 (0)
- Emma and Mr. Knightly Constanza 17:55:58 6/18/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.