Posted by Laura W on April 29, 1998 at 23:50:04:
In response to In regards to P&P2...., written by Davidia on April 27, 1998 at 13:08:10
On the same tape, shortly after, Darcy is shown in a carriage, the same carriage is shown with more detail when Darcy leaves Netherfield on tape VI is his carriage a Barouche? Also on tape VI, we see Lady Catherine's impressive carriage when she visits Elizabeth at Longbourn, does this carriage have a specific name?
I am pretty sure that both of these carriages are post chaises. I'm having a little trouble recalling Darcy's exactly, but I do recall that Lady Catherine's has only the one seat facing forward, which is a post chaise. Also, in the text it is called a post chaise (or rather, it is called a chaise, and the horses were post). Post chaises were private carriages used by the wealthy for travelling; they could be hired, but if one could afford it (as could Darcy), one kept one's own travelling chaise; they were called "post" because the horses were hired and changed at posting inns.
BTW, there is an error in the P&P2 production regarding carriages. When Lizzy and Charlotte Lucas travel back to Longbourne, the text is explicit that they are to travel post (in their case, probably a hired chaise), which is indeed the only way young ladies of their station could have travelled with propriety. But in the movie, they are very clearly in a stagecoach, complete with strangers in the coach opposite them, and writing on the side of the coach. Young ladies of their class travelling on a public stagecoach would have been highly irregular.
- The man-servant? Ann2 16:28:14 5/02/98 (2)
- Re: P&P2 cont. Davidia 08:39:26 4/30/98 (2)
- travelling by post P. Bingham 02:17:21 4/30/98 (14)
- sharing a post-chaise Laura W 17:07:54 5/03/98 (0)
- travelling post Laura W 17:10:45 4/30/98 (12)
- post chaises P. Bingham 19:20:25 4/30/98 (11)
- just to clarify... Laura W 15:13:11 5/01/98 (10)
- clarifying P. Bingham 23:20:32 5/02/98 (9)
- chaises and entering from the front Laura W 23:26:05 5/03/98 (0)
- hacks Laura W 23:02:26 5/03/98 (1)
- hack again... P. Bingham 04:12:40 5/04/98 (0)
- postillions or post-boys Laura W 17:03:15 5/03/98 (1)
- post-chaises P. Bingham 04:17:11 5/04/98 (0)
- post-chaises (long!) Laura W 16:32:42 5/03/98 (3)
- post chaises -- corrections Laura W 00:23:46 4/30/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.