Posted by Andrea Jutson on April 26, 1998 at 01:21:35:
In response to a woman's domain?, written by P. Bingham on April 25, 1998 at 01:47:27
But the men were even better at these same instruments and when they cared to share their talents they certainly did.
Really? I didn't know that- I'm sorry. It's just that I thought true "gentlemen" wouldn't play musical instruments, because they didn't have to earn a living from it (as Maggie Lane said). If they wanted music, I always supposed they'd get a servant (or a lady) to do it, as it says in all the JA books I've ever read (which is all of them, actually:-) Because I know musicians were always considered servants, until Beethoven.
Oh well- thanks for setting me right, Patricia!:-)
- Wealthy patrons Emelye 08:14:04 4/28/98 (4)
- music and wealthy men... P. Bingham 16:48:36 4/26/98 (15)
- Henry VIII & Frederick II of Prussia Kay 20:26:08 4/28/98 (14)
- Greensleeves Marie-Bernadette 13:36:54 4/29/98 (13)
- He Didn't Ken 08:04:47 4/30/98 (3)
- Henry VIII P. Bingham 13:55:50 4/29/98 (8)
- diseases and behaviour Marie-Bernadette 01:27:51 4/30/98 (7)
- regarding de Sade: P. Bingham 02:34:10 4/30/98 (6)
- detractors Marie-Bernadette 14:02:26 4/30/98 (5)
- ahem... P. Bingham 15:50:58 4/30/98 (4)
- No excuses Marie-Bernadette 23:32:31 5/10/98 (3)
- I was just kidding! P. Bingham 00:08:27 5/18/98 (2)
- How do you always get tucked down here in corner, Patricia?;-)nfm Marie-Bernadette 16:40:47 5/19/98 (1)
- As you must know by now... P. Bingham 00:08:04 5/21/98 (0)
- sorry? P. Bingham 16:44:45 4/26/98 (0)
- Music will out Caroline 12:27:14 4/26/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.