a woman's domain?
Posted by P. Bingham on April 25, 1998 at 01:47:27:
In response to Weeeeellllll...., written by Andrea Jutson on April 24, 1998 at 05:27:44
I'm not sure why everyone is assuming that playing these musical instruments were a woman's domain. I've read this in Jane Austen's Town & Country too and I completely disagree with it. Most other references do not say this at all. If you must put male and female together, Music would more be a man's domain. Sure, in the salon, it was the ladies who would entertain, but only to look "pretty" and snatch themselves a husband. But the men were even better at these same instruments and when they cared to share their talents they certainly did. Because of the reason why ladies were taught music in the first place, these ladies were given first dibbs on playing in the salon. And the men would sit and listen. But it was a man who taught the lady to play (her music teacher was more often than not a man if he was hired in) and it was the men who played in the orchestras. And it was the men who wrote the music. As far as instruments, the ladies might also play the violin or the cello to name some off the top of my head. As far as wind instruments, I believe that Emelyne is right. Blowing the mouth was a little not done.
- Sorry Andrea Jutson 01:21:35 4/26/98 (23)
- Wealthy patrons Emelye 08:14:04 4/28/98 (4)
- music and wealthy men... P. Bingham 16:48:36 4/26/98 (15)
- Henry VIII & Frederick II of Prussia Kay 20:26:08 4/28/98 (14)
- Greensleeves Marie-Bernadette 13:36:54 4/29/98 (13)
- He Didn't Ken 08:04:47 4/30/98 (3)
- Henry VIII P. Bingham 13:55:50 4/29/98 (8)
- diseases and behaviour Marie-Bernadette 01:27:51 4/30/98 (7)
- regarding de Sade: P. Bingham 02:34:10 4/30/98 (6)
- detractors Marie-Bernadette 14:02:26 4/30/98 (5)
- ahem... P. Bingham 15:50:58 4/30/98 (4)
- No excuses Marie-Bernadette 23:32:31 5/10/98 (3)
- I was just kidding! P. Bingham 00:08:27 5/18/98 (2)
- How do you always get tucked down here in corner, Patricia?;-)nfm Marie-Bernadette 16:40:47 5/19/98 (1)
- As you must know by now... P. Bingham 00:08:04 5/21/98 (0)
- sorry? P. Bingham 16:44:45 4/26/98 (0)
- Music will out Caroline 12:27:14 4/26/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.