What's it like?
Posted by Lu on April 24, 1998 at 15:17:32:
In response to Sidesaddle riding, written by Anita the guest - til I think up a better name :) on April 24, 1998 at 02:22:31
] I am actually a sidesaddle riding instructor
I've always been really curious about sidesaddle riding, but I've never known anyone who does it. I've been an astride rider since about age 8 (I show in hunt seat equitation classes). It looks really hard to me. Can you fall over backwards, or does the saddle help prevent that? I know I've seen pictures of people jumping sidesaddle, but I can't even begin to fathom how that is really possible (how do you get in a "1/2 seat" or whatever you would call it with one leg slung across the front of you?). Is it as versatile as astride riding? For example, my horse has a wicked right drift, so I always have my right leg dug into him to try to correct that. How would you deal with that? Can you shift your weight from one side to the other? How would you hold the left lead if your weight was off to the left? Sorry if I sound a little clueless!
The ignorant but always curious,
- Sidesaddling Anita the guest 23:31:56 4/24/98 (4)
- Visions of Auntie Mame : -) and Q's for Anita Carolyn B 08:45:59 4/25/98 (3)
- Reply + How do I post a pic - never done it before... Anita 12:01:13 4/26/98 (1)
- How to post a pic Caroline 12:12:32 4/26/98 (0)
- Also, P&P2 equitation question for anyone Carolyn B 09:08:02 4/26/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.