Posted by Phil C on April 19, 1998 at 11:17:58:
In response to We won, didn't we? ;-), written by Caroline on April 17, 1998 at 17:55:27
] Do you mean the initial reaction of the Great British Public,the official reaction of the government , or what?
I would have thought that the public at that time would have been so poorly informed that they wouldn't have really known about the heavy losses. Plus news travelled so slowly at that time.
As for winning, we'd have probably been better off if we'd lost. Napoleon was really popular in france and the Napoleonic code (?) was well ahead of its time. Especially in comparison with the monarchy.
Are we beyond the scope of this page yet? ;)
- Quoi?! Marie Bernadette 14:32:58 4/21/98 (0)
- Regarding general reaction Leanne S 11:56:54 4/20/98 (10)
- Napoleonic Code Caroline 12:32:46 4/20/98 (9)
- Napoleonic Code Laura W 11:41:09 4/21/98 (3)
- Bony John W 19:10:58 4/20/98 (4)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.