Jane Austen's Economic Status?
Posted by Amy2 on March 19, 1998 at 20:51:16:
Just read Maggie Lane's book JANE AUSTEN AND HER WORLD, which was very interesting. It made me wonder about Jane Austen's economic status: on one hand, we've been told that the Austens really weren't as wealthy as most modern readers think; on the other hand, the adoption of one of her brothers by a wealthy couple certainly must have infused some wealth into the family. Where did the Austens stand financially in the Regency scheme of things? Thanks!
- Nice to see you visit, Amy! Caroline 16:23:25 3/20/98 (1)
- Thanks Caroline! Amy2 13:01:52 4/02/98 (0)
- Austen Economic Status JW 12:11:41 3/20/98 (3)
- Money Myretta 22:00:10 3/19/98 (8)
- Money and class Helen 13:17:05 3/20/98 (7)
- you are right! Caroline 16:21:07 3/20/98 (6)
- No... Helen 14:32:52 3/26/98 (2)
- Class by Cooper Woodhouse 07:07:47 3/23/98 (2)
- JA - money and heroines Linden 21:43:14 3/19/98 (1)
- poor relations Sarah P 05:12:41 3/20/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.