Posted by gkb on March 10, 1998 at 19:44:07:
In response to Letters..., written by Caroline on March 09, 1998 at 22:15:43
Well, this is from memory, but one of her early letters says
"I do not like the Evangelicals." and one later in life to Fanny, I think, (her niece) said she had been thinking perhaps "we ought all to be Evangelicals" but I do not have the exact quotes and my books are packed up. Sorry, but the evidence was not stronger than that--only to show a change or more likely a moderation in her opinion as the Evangelical influence spread more widely. The second letter was after her father was dead, so maybe her earlier dislike was grounded in family criticism of what would have looked like extremism? I think the Evangelicals stood in the same relation to the Church of England as charismatic Christians today stand to the more established denominations--sort of a matter of fiery fervor versus calm dignity.
- Evangelism Caroline 10:06:09 3/12/98 (1)
- Thanks gkb 11:07:57 3/13/98 (0)
- Evangelizing Valerie McKnight 23:34:24 3/10/98 (9)
- Reservations about Barchester... Helen 13:49:54 3/11/98 (6)
- Nice to see you back here Valerie! (NFM) Erin 10:29:52 3/11/98 (1)
- Hi, Erin! NFM Valerie Mc. 22:28:39 3/11/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.