A question on British Naval ranks
Posted by Lynn on March 10, 1998 at 14:27:19:
I don't know if any of you can help with this, but what rank is before (one step lower than) Captain in the British navy? How many steps are there between Captain and Admiral?
In Persuasion it says "but a Captain Frederick Wentworth...who being made commander in consequence of the action off St. Domingo...". So he is a Captain, but what was he before he was a Captain? And by commander does she just mean a commander of a ship?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a feeling that the American ranks might be very different (or at least the years between when JA wrote and when I had my experience of the navy have made a big difference, because a Captain in the navy now in America is a pretty high up rank).
- Thank you all!!! Lynn 18:33:12 3/11/98 (3)
- Naval Ranks Liz 11:58:28 3/11/98 (1)
- Yes, Ma'am! ;-) (nfm) Caroline 16:24:48 3/11/98 (0)
- Ranks Marie Bernadette 15:57:50 3/10/98 (8)
- Naval Ranks JW 16:25:26 3/11/98 (6)
- Patrick O'Brian P. Bingham 20:15:45 3/10/98 (0)
- Ranking Ken 15:52:40 3/10/98 (2)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.