Stars vs. extras
Posted by Carolyn B on March 09, 1998 at 17:39:18:
In response to I think they are doing a better job..., written by Lynne on March 09, 1998 at 16:58:23
I think a lot more research has been done by costume people in the movie industry nowadays than was available in the 1940s or even 1960s. I also remember reading one costume or art historian (I think, Anne Hollander, Seeing Through Clothes, 1993) who pointed out that often the stars of the movie had modern hairstyles while all the extras had more correct period styles. Perhaps the big name stars didn't want to look "old-fashioned"
Definitely the perception of how much make-up is "natural" is a cultural-historical thing. (And perhaps all those women in the 1960s Westerns thought they looked like pioneer women.)
- Star style Valerie McKnight 23:45:33 3/10/98 (7)
- you made a good point. P. Bingham 13:03:54 3/11/98 (6)
- Grime Valerie Mc. 22:09:38 3/11/98 (0)
- Horseman on the Roof!!!Yesyesyesyes! HtF,S! *sigh* and also Marie Bernadette 14:21:36 3/11/98 (4)
- which Heathcliff? P. Bingham 22:01:00 3/11/98 (3)
- The Ralph Fienne Heathcliff. Did I spell his name right? nfm Marie Bernadette 00:44:31 3/12/98 (2)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.