And the actors use corsets too
Posted by Caroline on February 27, 1998 at 16:32:34:
In response to Actually, quite likely, written by Jessamyn on February 27, 1998 at 16:17:23
We have a couple of theatrical costumiers amoungst us who have held forth from time to time about the need to wear authentic corsets to make costumes look right. (I'm sorry, it isn't in the L&T Archives, and I'm not sure what board it's been on....probably several.)If you look closely at JE in the scenes after the first proposal,when she's pacing up and down the room in tears, you get a good look at her back view with corset on- it looks stiff though the fabric of her dress.And, not to put too fine apoint on it, when she is playing at the dinnerparty at Pemberley, she looks a little more upholstered than usual! I do believe also, that Emma Thompson complained about her S&S corset in her S&S diaries. Since they are currently being discussed over on the S&S Board, it might be worth looking at the conversation there.And in Persuasion, when Louisa falls and is taken to the Harville house, you get a very brief shot of Anne holding her corset.
Like Jessamyn, I really believe that the 'no corset' thing has been grossly exaggerated over the years. I believe that Jane Austen's neice made a comment about corsets that push the bosom up to your chin being no longer 'in', but I cannot find the exact quote.(Maybe I'll leave it up to our other Pemberley Corset Expert to find it......;-) )
- JE on P&P2 May 23:01:38 2/27/98 (0)
- Confusion -- partly due to use of a slightly unfortunate word... The Mysterious H.C. 19:03:56 2/27/98 (8)
- The zona Marie Bernadette 19:09:38 2/28/98 (5)
- Zonė The Mysterious H.C. 21:55:09 3/01/98 (4)
- Bathyzonos vs. Hypsizonos The Mysterious H.C. 18:11:01 3/03/98 (2)
- Striving for the "Grecian look" but not quite committing, eh? nfm Marie Bernadette 00:21:14 3/02/98 (0)
- I knew I could rely on you! Caroline 20:35:41 2/27/98 (0)
- Ahem.... Myretta 20:34:03 2/27/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.