Posted by Alexandra on February 24, 1998 at 08:13:03:
In response to Actually that was a mistake!, written by Patricia Bingham on February 24, 1998 at 03:04:26
] Sorry! I was mistaken about the mercury. It was arsenic instead! Arsenic was sometimes used to produce the color green, lead for red. I fairly certain I got this from What Jane Austen Ate & Charles Dickens knew.
I thought it was lead that was used to produce green. I'm sure in the mists of my memory there is something about the Victorian's using lead in green paint. It then used to give off fumes (or something!!) and when people used to use it in bedrooms they quite often died of lead poisoning....hence the colour green being seen as a very unlucky colour to paint your bedroom in!!! ;-)
- well, ...... Caroline 15:48:34 2/24/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.