I forgot to mention....
Posted by gkb on February 04, 1998 at 10:09:46:
In response to Silk workers, written by gkb on February 04, 1998 at 10:04:12
.... that the silk workers in Chinese factories were mostly women who seemed to revel in the freedom from the farm. They had sisterly relations (good and bad) with their fellow workers and took pride in their usefulness and status. Factories had a liberating effect on women as long as they supported one another. It was a way to avoid marriage, servanthood, and poverty--a solution that was not open to JA.
- Silk Workers Captain Everett 00:36:22 2/05/98 (1)
- Great stuff--thanks for sharing it! (nfm) gkb 20:18:15 2/15/98 (0)
- Lowell mill girls Carolyn B 19:32:39 2/04/98 (3)
- Could you explain..... Caroline 10:30:21 2/08/98 (2)
- OSHA Carolyn B 13:43:25 2/08/98 (1)
- Oops, typo in the link! Well, we'll live without it - *nfm* Carolyn B 13:46:50 2/08/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.