Posted by gkb on February 04, 1998 at 10:04:12:
In response to What would you do?, written by Helen on February 04, 1998 at 07:10:08
The work of servants in a manor was a good 12 hours a day minimum plus being supervised and limited in your off-time and your clothing choices. Factory work was similar hours, probably equally opportune for sexual predation by managers as in the manor, but in the factory, your off-time was your own. There was more 'going on'--more lively interaction--in the town than in the country, so if I were an extrovert, I would go for the factory. Being a strong introvert, I suspect I would have been happiest on the farm or as an upper servant in the manor.
- I forgot to mention.... gkb 10:09:46 2/04/98 (6)
- Silk Workers Captain Everett 00:36:22 2/05/98 (1)
- Great stuff--thanks for sharing it! (nfm) gkb 20:18:15 2/15/98 (0)
- Lowell mill girls Carolyn B 19:32:39 2/04/98 (3)
- Could you explain..... Caroline 10:30:21 2/08/98 (2)
- OSHA Carolyn B 13:43:25 2/08/98 (1)
- Oops, typo in the link! Well, we'll live without it - *nfm* Carolyn B 13:46:50 2/08/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.