For "SEA" buffs out there!
Posted by Patricia Bingham on February 02, 1998 at 23:46:30:
Here is a new release of an older (1970) fictional book called Master & Commander by Patrick O'Brian, WW norton $12.95
Here's what the back cover says:
"This, the first in the splendid deries of Jack Aubrey novels, establishes the friendship between Captain Aubrey, R.N., and Stephen Maturin, ship's surgeon and intelligence agent, against the backdrop of the Napoleonic wars. Details of life aboard a man-of-war in nelson's navy are faultlessly rendered; conversational idiom of the officers in the ward room and the men on the lower deck, the food, the floggings, the mysteries of the wind and the rigging, and the roar of broadsides as the great ships close in battle."
The historical detail is outstanding, the first page opens to a diagram of the sails of a square-rigged ship, hung out to dry in a calm. I thought it might be useful to someone or even entertaining.
- Excellent books! RachelE 22:30:24 2/09/98 (0)
- More books... P. Bingham 14:15:57 2/04/98 (4)
- Thank you, Mrs. Bingham and... Marie Bernadette 14:32:17 2/04/98 (3)
- Jane Austen's Naval Brothers Caroline 20:49:23 2/05/98 (0)
- biographies P. Bingham 15:28:13 2/04/98 (1)
- Thank you, once again (this is getting to be a habit)! (nfm) Marie Bernadette 11:34:44 2/05/98 (0)
- Companion Ken 08:51:11 2/03/98 (5)
- Thanks for that! (nfm) Patricia Bingham 16:11:37 2/04/98 (0)
- More about Patrick O'Brian Marie Bernadette 11:02:56 2/03/98 (3)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.