Hardy and God
Posted by Kellie on September 17, 1998 at 11:03:28:
Hello! Tess is only the second Hardy book I've read (the other is FFTMC and I saw the movie version of Jude). He seems to be against the traditional church and religion in is attitude toward Angel's family as well as in his adoration of nature. What I find odd though is that his stories read like morality plays. The characters always suffer for their "sins" and mistakes no matter how good or pure at heart they are - it is like a "God is unfair" theme running through his works. Anyone else get this feeling?
- Hardy and Greek Tragedy Tamee 18:43:16 9/21/98 (1)
- Greek Tragedy , morality plays and the old ways Caroline 21:32:36 9/21/98 (0)
- Hardy, Religion, & Society Linda K. 19:48:15 9/18/98 (0)
- Not exactly Constanza 14:40:13 9/17/98 (1)
- Yes, society is unfair as well Kellie 13:29:33 9/19/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.