If it consoles you...
Posted by Caroline on September 16, 1998 at 14:04:00:
In response to Post-virtview blues, written by Cheryl on September 16, 1998 at 13:11:15
1) I basically never read Hardy because he's always so miserable.
2) In steeling myself to read "Tess" just because we were doing it for Virt-View and Group Read, and going to considerable lengths to get hold of the book, I discovered, that somehow, without ever having actually read it, I knew the story, including much of the details, before I ever started the 'read'.
3) Now that I've seen the broadcast, I've lost all desire to continue reading. So instead -I'm reading around it..about Hardy, about the novel, about what the critics think.
But the book itself, as a 'read', is dead.
It's a strange feeling. Although part of it is caused by knowing about the ending, I don't think it's just that. When I see Austen videos, they make me want to go back to the book, to check things, to compare. And they make me 're-think' the novel, over and over again."Tom Jones" made me go and read the book. Not this one, though. A shame, really.
- not ALWAYS miserable Chael 22:05:28 9/18/98 (3)
- Why I don't read Hardy... The Mysterious H.C. 00:04:12 9/18/98 (5)
- But Hardy Can Be Funny Cassia 10:18:43 9/24/98 (0)
- and yet you like.. Jane 10:56:29 9/21/98 (3)
- Add a smiley when you say that, pardner [NFM] The Mysterious H.C. 21:04:05 9/21/98 (2)
- It ain't an easy task gettin' folks to appreciate MP *nfm* :-) Lea 13:04:00 9/22/98 (0)
- Where are the smiley URLs? I did look before posting (nfm) Jane 12:55:22 9/22/98 (0)
- Death of a read Linda K. 20:29:51 9/16/98 (0)
- Continuing to read Cheryl 17:54:07 9/16/98 (6)
- Hardy and Austen Constanza 16:15:26 9/16/98 (6)
- LOL!!! Haley 12:49:07 9/20/98 (3)
- Staying on the windy side of care... Linda K. 22:24:25 9/20/98 (2)
- Raising teenagers...not for the faint of heart :-) Lea 16:31:28 9/21/98 (1)
- I meant boring & uneventful. That "un" makes a difference nfm :) Lea 16:36:01 9/21/98 (0)
- LOL, indeed! Or is that Emily Bronte's P&P? (nfm) Jane 15:29:12 9/17/98 (0)
- LOL! (nfm) Cheryl 17:02:32 9/16/98 (0)
- Hardy and Austen Constanza 16:10:24 9/16/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.