Sherlock Holmes - What Fun!
Posted by HannahR on September 10, 1998 at 13:15:58:
Purchased a copy of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" last Friday before the long Labor Day weekend. First time I've ever read anything by Sir ACD, and was pleasantly surprised how fun it was to read this collection of 12 short stories. Very light, crisp, smooth writing style which made it easy to read - nothing too deep or contemplative here, but sometimes that's refreshing to a reader's mind. I went ahead and ordered an .80 cent copy of "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and have already planned what I'm going to do when I get it:
1. Wait for a "dark and stormy night" (atmosphere, don't you know!)
2. Make a nice cup of tea
3. Mood music (violin, of course!)
4. Candle light (ditto atmosphere)
5. Buy a pipe, stuff it with the best pipe tobacco I can find, light it.....and set it on the table beside me to use like incense (I don't think I could actually smoke it - I never liked smoking, but I do like the smell of a good pipe - reminds me of my dad)
6. Dive in!
You may think I'm kidding, but I really enjoy taking my reading experience to a more sensory level from time to time. Am I crazy, or are there others out there who do similar things? And are there other fans of Sir ACD who might give me some recommendations of other Sherlock story favorites?
- Discovering old friends Joyce E. 18:00:00 9/14/98 (0)
- SH and Irene Adler Olivia Ann 16:47:25 9/14/98 (0)
- and after you've read them all, check out ... Sara A. 08:44:49 9/11/98 (1)
- check this out too... J.L. 23:48:16 9/15/98 (0)
- My favorites Kay 18:10:41 9/10/98 (1)
- and also... Yvette 01:10:04 9/13/98 (0)
- Scarlet Study Constanza 16:26:13 9/10/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.