In respectful disagreement
Posted by Linden on August 06, 1998 at 02:42:38:
In response to Narnia? You've got to go there!, written by Mary B on August 05, 1998 at 14:24:34
Sorry, but I don't like the Narnia books. I agree that they are well written, but they are full of some fairly blatant propaganda that IMHO makes them unsuitable for children who might not recognise it.
It's not so much the Christian element - fair enough, I suppose - but CS Lewis takes pot shots at all sorts of things around him: progressive schools, girls becoming teenagers, and so on.
I guess that adults can recognise it and discount it, but I think it's important, when giving them to children, to find time to discuss the axes he grinds.
- Propaganda Art 08:47:33 8/06/98 (10)
- Propaganda, Narnia and Kipling Linden 21:16:33 8/06/98 (7)
- Yet more propaganda Art 08:45:51 8/07/98 (6)
- and sometimes a cigar is just a cigar :-) (nfm) Jane 23:18:10 8/07/98 (1)
- But it's always a Smoke (I hope you got the reference) nfm Art 00:05:20 8/08/98 (0)
- Not at all Constanza 11:54:30 8/07/98 (2)
- Once again...... Alexandra 11:06:12 8/07/98 (0)
- I agree..... Alexandra 09:33:44 8/06/98 (1)
- Hey, cool, somebody actually agrees with me... Art 11:01:14 8/06/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.