a couple more...
Posted by kATE on July 29, 1998 at 16:16:57:
In response to 100 greatest, written by Art on July 29, 1998 at 15:17:29
] Well, that's interesting, maybe the 19th century books would crowd out the 20th, but what ARE the greatest novels, in ENGLISH, published in the 19TH Century? It might be actually kind of interesting to try to compile such a list. The first 50 or so would probably be the easiest, but it would get interesting with the 2nd 50. Herewith my own unhumble (partial) selection of obvious candidates for the top 100, in no particular order: Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, Barset Chronicles (Trollope), Vanity Fair, Great Expectations, David Copperfield, Our Mutual Friend, Bleak House, Nicholas Nickleby, Huckleberry Finn, Moby Dick, The Confidence Man (Melville), Hardy's 5 great novels, House of the Seven Gables, Scarlet Letter, Mill on the Floss, Dracula, Tale of Two Cities. These are off the top of my head, but what would be some others?
- ...and Constanza 11:20:09 7/30/98 (0)
- Let's hear it for the girls! Jane Elizabeth 17:16:30 7/29/98 (12)
- 100 greatest Art 23:14:43 7/29/98 (11)
- Criteria? Jane 22:36:20 7/30/98 (2)
- Lewis Carroll Jane 22:31:58 7/30/98 (7)
- I wholeheartedly agree. Very great books Art 14:11:43 7/31/98 (6)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.