Posted by Erin on July 27, 1998 at 18:10:27:
As I mentioned on the P&P board, I've linked an essay (found by Danielle W.) below by Stephen Cox on literary criticism. It's essentially an overview of the major 'schools', and most importantly, what are the aims of literary theory and critique.
The genesis of this post came out of the on-going debate about certain aspects of P&P, with opposing sides ultimately debating over what constitutes 'legitimate' interpretations of the text. Since P&P is a vary busy board, and this topic reaches outside of its scope, I thought we'd bring it over here. Enjoy!
- Link: Stephen Cox essay
- A migraine-inducing topic...;-) Mylan 19:08:27 7/28/98 (8)
- Migrane-inducing consequences of negating authorial intentions Joan, too 22:30:37 7/28/98 (4)
- Migrane-inducing consequences of negating authorial intentions Joan, too 22:28:45 7/28/98 (0)
- ... Erin 21:56:17 7/28/98 (1)
- Ambiguous antecedents Joan, too 22:41:11 7/28/98 (0)
- The Pooh Perplex Helen 14:51:43 7/28/98 (0)
- What's my line?... Nathalie R. 03:19:02 7/28/98 (5)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.