First love and second
Posted by gkb on June 24, 1998 at 11:07:57:
In response to More on Fanny, written by Linden on June 24, 1998 at 06:03:20
] I've just thought - is Edward always subconsciously attracted to Fanny? Or have I just started a double war combining the Fanny Price war with the Subconscious Attraction war from P&P?
My guess is that Mary is truly his first love, he falls so hard. But his second love is more like the Elizabeth Bennet based on gratitude and esteem variety--not the attraction of opposites, but the loving of like kinds. I cannot speak to his inner awareness r lack of it, since I feel I lack clear evidence of his sub- or unconscious state of mind which is commonly given in descriptions of physical actions, like Lady Macbeth's obsession with hand-washing, or soliloquies.
- Edmund, Mary, and Fanny Tamee 14:32:56 6/24/98 (4)
- Your points make a lot of sense to me! (nfm) :-) Lea 12:20:47 6/25/98 (0)
- Separate and together gkb 11:15:57 6/25/98 (0)
- Right tags in this (I hope) Constanza 15:42:35 6/24/98 (0)
- What an insteresting view! Everybody read the post above Constanza 15:40:07 6/24/98 (0)
- Awareness (or the lack of it) Constanza 12:16:29 6/24/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.