Fanny and Edmund
Posted by Constanza on June 23, 1998 at 16:30:14:
In response to MP and NA not a "lesser" work, written by Constanza on June 19, 1998 at 12:00:36
I am placing this post here just for the sake of order :-)
The other night I was perusing MP and I stumbled upon two things: one was a defect of Fanny -as seen by Edmund- and the other was a paragraph about the EB-FW relationship.
As regards the first one, he said that she fancied more difficulties than there actually existed. I was glad I found it out; it might become handy if there ever arises one of those Fanny Ward Wars I've so often heard about. ;-) (Just to shup up those who says Fanny is too perfect)
In relation to the second point, the passage in question stressed the fact that Fanny is a child that requires active kindness and active goodness (Edmund finds her crying in the stairs and realises he must go out of his way in order to make her happy). It made me notice that it isn't only Edmund that helps shape Fanny's character and form her better taste, but also Fanny that prompts Edmund's spiritual growth. Of course, he must have been a sensitive person to first notice Fanny's needs (the rest of the Bertrams fails to do so) but I believe that it is Fanny herself who ultimately makes him such a caring and trustworthy young man. After all, knowing that you are responsible for somebody's happiness and comfort must weight a great deal as far as personal development goes.
- Nice Observations on Edmund & Fanny helping one another (nfm) :-) Lea 12:51:45 6/24/98 (0)
- More on Fanny Linden 06:03:20 6/24/98 (7)
- First love and second gkb 11:07:57 6/24/98 (6)
- Edmund, Mary, and Fanny Tamee 14:32:56 6/24/98 (4)
- Your points make a lot of sense to me! (nfm) :-) Lea 12:20:47 6/25/98 (0)
- Separate and together gkb 11:15:57 6/25/98 (0)
- Right tags in this (I hope) Constanza 15:42:35 6/24/98 (0)
- What an insteresting view! Everybody read the post above Constanza 15:40:07 6/24/98 (0)
- Awareness (or the lack of it) Constanza 12:16:29 6/24/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.