MP and NA not a "lesser" work
Posted by Constanza on June 19, 1998 at 12:00:36:
You know, I've always considered MP and NA as the younger siblings of the other JA's novels. I 've always thought that they were not so rich and funny and whatnot as the others.
Now I've come to discover that there is more to them that what meets the eye (do I have the saying right?).
As regards, NA, I've finally read Udolpho, and I must say that it enhaced my appreciation of its merits (and JA's word economy, among other things ;-)).
And as regards MP, the current discussion we are having way down the screen has helped me discover its "underground" richness and beauty. Paraphrasing Darcy, it is many days since I've considered MP one of the richest and most complex of JA's novels. So, thank you Bonny, GKay and Lea. :-)
PS. However, I still think that Edmund lacks oomph! ;-)
- Fanny and Edmund Constanza 16:30:14 6/23/98 (9)
- Nice Observations on Edmund & Fanny helping one another (nfm) :-) Lea 12:51:45 6/24/98 (0)
- More on Fanny Linden 06:03:20 6/24/98 (7)
- First love and second gkb 11:07:57 6/24/98 (6)
- Edmund, Mary, and Fanny Tamee 14:32:56 6/24/98 (4)
- Your points make a lot of sense to me! (nfm) :-) Lea 12:20:47 6/25/98 (0)
- Separate and together gkb 11:15:57 6/25/98 (0)
- Right tags in this (I hope) Constanza 15:42:35 6/24/98 (0)
- What an insteresting view! Everybody read the post above Constanza 15:40:07 6/24/98 (0)
- Awareness (or the lack of it) Constanza 12:16:29 6/24/98 (0)
- Oomphy Edmund Linden 02:41:25 6/20/98 (3)
- Edmund and Edward as heroes Sarah P 05:18:59 6/23/98 (2)
- favoured and favourite Constanza 11:22:39 6/23/98 (1)
- Getting cross with characters a sign of great writing Sarah P 04:38:07 6/24/98 (0)
- Constanza's Continuum isFAQ-quality material! Kudos to you. (nfm) gkb 17:03:07 6/19/98 (0)
- Thanks, Constanza. I'm enjoying our discussions, too! (nfm) :-) Lea 13:17:41 6/19/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.