I'm enjoying these discussions. Interesting...
Posted by Leaa on June 09, 1998 at 22:47:57:
In response to To Bonny(RE: MP) wondering if you have an interest...., written by gkb on June 01, 1998 at 15:59:16
Just wanted to say to all involved in this current discussion of MP that I've enjoyed reading your posts.
Several interesting points have been made about Mrs. Norris regarding her "real" motives and intents. She is an interesting character study. I don't approve of her actions, methods, or motives and certainly would not want to have an aunt like her, but I must admit she may be one of Jane's finest creations.
What would this book be without her? She is at the heart of this book. It is her wrong treatment of Fanny (under the "pretense" of keeping her in her "proper" place) which shows us the kind of character Fanny possesses.
I liked G.Kay's comments about Fanny's lack of confidence being due in part to her lack of mothering, separation from family at a young age, etc. I think that's a good point. This might not have effected every child in this way, but someone with her sensitive temperment is definitely a candidate for "low self-esteem" under these conditions.
- How do you see Sir Thomas? gkb 12:14:45 6/16/98 (23)
- Sir T and Austen admitting he was wrong(Long!) Bonny 21:15:52 6/17/98 (15)
- Suffering and relief from suffering gkb 12:21:30 6/18/98 (12)
- Yes...and...but... Bonny 08:32:54 6/19/98 (11)
- Crime and Crewelty gkb 17:00:29 6/19/98 (10)
- Cruelty in subjecting you to ramblings& possible kernel of truth? Bonny 07:45:19 6/22/98 (7)
- Fifth Impressions gkb 11:44:51 6/22/98 (6)
- Woww! Who needs sunglasses now? ;-) nfm Constanza 12:25:28 6/22/98 (5)
- I meant to say.... gkb 12:42:13 6/20/98 (1)
- Oh, gkb! LOL! (nfm) Bonny 21:33:23 6/20/98 (0)
- A hurried answer with random thoughts Constanza 08:46:04 6/18/98 (1)
- Don't apologize... Bonny 08:36:59 6/19/98 (0)
- Sir Thomas learns from his mistakes... Lea 13:59:35 6/17/98 (5)
- Lea, can I jump in with a quick thank you? OliviaAnn 11:04:43 6/22/98 (1)
- Thanks, Olivia. It's very nice to meet you! :-) nfm Lea 12:17:08 6/22/98 (0)
- Deceived or lazy? Constanza 18:17:57 6/18/98 (0)
- ironic... Bonny 21:42:29 6/17/98 (1)
- I agree about the irony and the similarities b/w SirT & Mr.B nfm Constanza 08:48:15 6/18/98 (0)
- I'm working on my response, hope to post sometime today :-) nfm Lea 08:20:43 6/17/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.