Posted by gkb on June 02, 1998 at 16:42:48:
In response to Yes, indeed, written by Bonny on June 02, 1998 at 08:49:10
Here's hoping the home'puter is raring to go when you get there! What excellent points you make. There is another aspect of Mrs. Norris that is skewered by JA very accurately--namely her lack of genuine refinement appropriate to her class. In this regard she rather resembles Mrs. Bennet or Mrs. Phillips raised to a slighly higher sphere. She is always working overtime to depress and dominate and lower Fanny's self-esteem--I suppose because she herself had to accept a lower rank in life than her younger sister. To have Sir Thomas rate her down so fast on the issue of Fanny's carriage to the dinner party and blindness to the immorality of the private theatricals gives me much glee!
- yes Bonny 06:17:19 6/04/98 (18)
- I've thought of Mrs. Norris differently... Lisa S. 11:32:21 6/05/98 (3)
- of course not! Bonny 06:46:07 6/07/98 (0)
- Principles and appearances again? Constanza 14:51:53 6/05/98 (0)
- Very close to base! Appearance & Intent don't match :-) nfm Lea 12:12:10 6/05/98 (0)
- Sorry I just jumped in... lauri 17:55:04 6/04/98 (0)
- Education & Mrs. Norris - lauri 17:53:03 6/04/98 (3)
- Moral education gkb 14:20:01 6/04/98 (8)
- LOL! Bonny 06:07:08 6/07/98 (7)
- Hardship vs. indulgence gkb 16:19:55 6/07/98 (6)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.