Posted by Bonny on June 02, 1998 at 08:49:10:
In response to To Bonny(RE: MP) wondering if you have an interest...., written by gkb on June 01, 1998 at 15:59:16
] ...in more chat about Mrs. Norris? Did you get to read my response lower down? I am soliciting viewpoints about the satire and funny ironies in MP--especially the young people and Mrs. Norris.
I did read your response, and made some notes from MP to respond, however, my computer had to be doctored over the last two weeks(just got it back tonight), and I've only been able to touch base with P. illicitly - using free University Library computers with internet connections reserved for browsing for information, and under no circumstances to be used for e-mail or "anything like that", as was roundly asserted by the officious Librarian who told me off today. Her scoldings reminded me of Mrs Norris herself, so I was intrigued rather than mortified, and am now quite in the mood to discuss the real Mrs Norris. I can't find those notes, but I'll comment anyway.
I like your idea of the "sympathetic approach" to Mrs Norris and I do think the humour is satire tempered with understanding, if that phrasing makes sense. I think the humour of Mrs Norris lies: in her two chief idiosyncracies, a)her zealous economizing(sometimes called greed) and b)her love of organizing and being important; in the predictability in which she performs these roles; and in her hypocrisy, claiming to be the opposite of what she is and does eg. by a judicious mixture of flattery, apparent interest and general pushiness she obtains "samples" from Sotheton, cream cheese etc., she claims they were pressed on her "the housekeeper would make me take one". These are follies and inconsistencies which do divert me, I own! I will continue this post tomorow.
- Excellent! gkb 16:42:48 6/02/98 (19)
- yes Bonny 06:17:19 6/04/98 (18)
- I've thought of Mrs. Norris differently... Lisa S. 11:32:21 6/05/98 (3)
- of course not! Bonny 06:46:07 6/07/98 (0)
- Principles and appearances again? Constanza 14:51:53 6/05/98 (0)
- Very close to base! Appearance & Intent don't match :-) nfm Lea 12:12:10 6/05/98 (0)
- Sorry I just jumped in... lauri 17:55:04 6/04/98 (0)
- Education & Mrs. Norris - lauri 17:53:03 6/04/98 (3)
- Moral education gkb 14:20:01 6/04/98 (8)
- LOL! Bonny 06:07:08 6/07/98 (7)
- Hardship vs. indulgence gkb 16:19:55 6/07/98 (6)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.