JA and beauty
Posted by Silja on May 27, 1998 at 13:29:43:
Maybe there are more readers of JA out there who wonder like me why JA stresses the point in all of her novels that the heroine is NOT the most beautiful girl around.
I asked this question on the newbie board and I'm glad Erin told me the proper placement for my rambling thoughts...
So, if anybody has wondered like me why Fanny and Anne are rewarded with a bloom of beauty for proving their character qualities-- why Elinor, Lizzie and Catherine Norland are contrasted with far more handsome sisters or friends-- why Emma is presented as handsome but also as far from perfect-- and even she is contrasted with Jane F.'s elegance-- maybe you would let me into your speculations???
I feel the questions only bubbling out of my head! What a great place! I waited for such an opportunity to see wgat other addict think since I know JA, I think...
Keep up the wonderful work, girls!
- Pretty is as pretty does... Gayle 13:21:24 6/13/98 (0)
- My Barely Humble Opinion on the Matter Cassia 18:43:59 6/02/98 (0)
- Not physical attraction Constanza 17:26:46 6/01/98 (0)
- Elizabeth Bennet's fine eyes DonnaJ 18:27:06 5/27/98 (0)
- Emma Xenia 13:52:24 5/27/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.