Re: Future Lady Eliot
Posted by Cassia on May 19, 1998 at 17:06:23:
In response to JA & sex outside marriage, written by Linden on May 16, 1998 at 19:39:25
] I'm puzzled by JA's views on sex outside marriage. In almost all cases she obviously considers it shocking, and it ends in disaster for the woman (or near disaster, in Lydia's case).
] But there's one huge exception: Mrs Clay gets away with it in "Persuasion" when she goes off with Mr Elliot. She may even end up as Lady Elliot as a result.
] Thoughts, anyone?
Come on, you don't really think Mr Eliot will marry Mrs Clay, do you? He wants her out of the way to clear the path to his inheritence and what a great way to do it. It isn't likely Sir Walter would want a wife who's more talked about than himself and he get to swerve past marrige with Elizabeth again.
After Mrs Clay moves into Mr Eliot's home it all becomes a battle of wills, the same battle fought by Henry Crawford and Maria Bertram Rushworth, recall who won that round. I'd bet my last penney on Mr Eliot throwing off Mrs Clay after a while. After all, she isn't clever or beautiful and she already has two children. Not the most attractive package in the world, I'd say.
- Lady Penelope Linden 20:27:58 5/19/98 (5)
- First Marriage Cassia 19:43:13 5/21/98 (0)
- Thunderbirds are go! (nfm) Sarah P 14:38:31 5/20/98 (3)
- I really loved that show as a kid, but I haven't seen it at all for a looong time... [NFM] The Mysterious H.C. 08:31:40 5/23/98 (0)
- Of course, B'Lady! (nfm):-) Parker..... er, Caroline 20:02:04 5/20/98 (0)
- Actually, she'd be Lady Eliot, but... Linden 19:22:30 5/20/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.