Posted by Marya on May 15, 1998 at 16:09:15:
In response to A Question about Fanny Price, written by Golda on May 14, 1998 at 16:32:22
Upon finding this site and finding that there had been much controversy over Fanny throughout
the history of the site, I found that I *had* to re-read Mansfield Park, which I confess had not
really caught my attention much the first time through the novels. While reading, I found that
I liked Fanny well enough, but still didn't feel strongly one way or the other-- at least not strongly
enough to warrant controversy. But then.... I found the BBC version of MP on tape.
I could barely watch it. In this interpretation Fanny is so very like Mary Bennett-- every comment
ill-timed and sanctimonious. This is not the way I read it at all, but it obviously how it is read
by some people. I honestly read Fanny with better timing and more discreet delivery.
Anyway, I now understand both sides of the argument, so if anyone else doesn't understand
how a reader could dislike Fanny-- rent that video!
One comment-- I think Fanny Conversation will remain active here as long as the controversy
is given so much attention in the "newbie" area. It's the first real juicy thing you come across
when discovering the site-- I couldn't stop thinking about it... "People don't like Fanny?!?!"
- That really surprized me, too Lea 16:55:48 5/17/98 (0)
- MP: Afterwords Constanza 16:21:29 5/15/98 (12)
- Irritating, isn't it? Lydia 19:25:49 5/15/98 (1)
- Infuriating indeed - quoting from it Constanza 11:29:16 5/18/98 (0)
- hmmm Lise 18:41:55 5/15/98 (9)
- JA's plan Xenia 17:17:17 5/16/98 (8)
- Um, well... Stolzi 09:40:08 5/18/98 (7)
- Good Mrs. Norris gkb 13:48:34 5/18/98 (6)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.