Posted by Linden on May 04, 1998 at 02:23:13:
What's comedy? Is it just stuff that makes people laugh?
In particular, what makes JA (and Stella Gibbons, and Monty Python, etc.) comic?
Down the board a bit we got into a discussion of Aristotelian comedy, but came to the conclusion that Aristotle wasn't relevant (phew!)
A couple of points that people made:
1. Comedy may have a social function, in presenting social criticism by holding things up to ridicule (not very relevant to JA, but maybe more so for Gibbons)
2. What makes a situation comic or tragic is often the outcome - does everyone get married and live happily ever after, or do they all die? (But what about the crucifixion scene at the end of "The Life of Brian"?)
- I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Helen 16:27:09 5/04/98 (0)
- I think it has a social function Laraine 14:03:14 5/04/98 (0)
- Difficult.. Cheryl 12:30:13 5/04/98 (1)
- End of the Life of Brian Linden 19:37:22 5/05/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.