hmmm... this is a difficult one.
Posted by Kate on April 27, 1998 at 17:22:45:
Am I jumping to conclusions here or is there more than a whisper of anti-Semitism in CCF? First of all Mrs Smiling talks about going to a "Jew-shop" (it makes me ill just typing the words), and then there is Flora noticing that Mr Mybug is actually Mr Meyerburg. This and the fact that he lied in Charlotte Street (what is the significance of this?) were "not calcuated to raise her spirits".
It makes you realise how casually anti-Semitic feelings were expressed in the 30s. I'd love to know something more about Gibbons to know where this was coming from.
- I've seen this before Lesley 18:24:03 4/29/98 (4)
- It's complex Arnessa 16:33:57 4/29/98 (1)
- yes, and... Kate 08:30:19 4/30/98 (0)
- The feelings expressed in the 30's Lisa 19:51:43 4/28/98 (1)
- Lisa, you surprise me Stolzi 18:54:28 5/02/98 (0)
- Bloomsbury Kay 19:51:12 4/28/98 (1)
- Quite right on spelling, but... Karen R 16:12:33 4/29/98 (0)
- Definitely Noticeable Karen R 13:59:12 4/28/98 (0)
- Another view Constanza 11:02:13 4/28/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.