Posted by Kate on April 20, 1998 at 21:03:16:
This is actually hysterical, when you read it carefully.
I love the bit about having been a journalist, learning to say exactly what you mean in short, crisp sentences, she now has to learn "to write as though I were not quite sure about what I meant but was jolly well going to say something all the same in sentences as long as possible"
Which explains the starred paragraphs!
And there is also a real dig at these "real" authors a bit later, where she implies that the fictional Pookworthy's books have given her joy "It is just possible that it was not quite the kind of joy which you intended them to give..."
As she points out, his books are not funny. But she obviously laughed at them all the same!
- Pookworthy? Cheryl 00:59:43 4/21/98 (4)
- sorry.... Kate 09:11:47 4/21/98 (3)
- I fell sooo relieved!!!!!!! Constanza 21:00:47 4/21/98 (1)
- Oooops! "feel" - I guess I am in need of vacations! ;-) nfm Constanza 12:15:34 4/22/98 (0)
- Realistic writing Marsha 18:33:11 4/21/98 (0)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.